Sunday, November 25, 2007

Parent Teacher Conferences

Cute pic of Elly that I HAD to use, but...OK...parent teacher conferences...

I realize that this is a little behind, as PTC's were a week ago come Monday. I really didn't have the time to post about it, and I had to allow my mind to wrap around the blitz of information that I get in a 40 minute period (20 minutes for each child).

Jillyan's conference was first this year. She has a great teacher that both older girls had in 3rd or 4th grade. No surprises. Jillyan is a bright girl who started off the school year below grade level and will bring herself up throughout the year. She often has trouble listening, following directions and holding still throughout the day. She LOVES school, she just isn't very good at it yet. Wow. Big surprise. Think the school could get this kid a 504 or IEP? NOT!! Be sure to check back in at some point for my ADHD post that will soon come!!

Evan's conference was next. I was excited to hear that he has finally stopped crying everyday at school, and his teacher thinks that he's a "hoot". Evan socially is right where he needs to be (1st grade), but his academic level is quite a bit higher. I was THRILLED to hear that his teacher is using techniques to keep him motivated and learning new things - even though he's intellectually done with 1st grade. She's a great lady that Melyssa had in 1st grade too.

Melyssa's conference rounded out the PTC blitz. This one was a pleasant surprise. She is doing everything at grade level at the beginning of the year (never happened before!), and has some pretty high grades to boast about. When I had asked her about a week before the conferences if I would have any surprises, she ran down a list of anything negative she could think of. Needless to say, I went into the conference prepared for the worst! Throughout the meeting, we talked about how the positive was much more important than the negative, and how Melyssa REALLY had to start looking for the positive in school. Since her teacher and I BOTH told her (this was a "student led" conference) the same thing, hopefully she will realize what attributes she brings to this world. Ms. Negativity needs an attitude adjustment!

All in all I'm sure that it was a productive day...I'm still just sorting through things in my mind to "game plan" the remainder of the school year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that's a good summary of conference time...needing a game plan to finish the year out. When Maddie went through that negative phase someone gave me this tip that worked out pretty good to help Maddie see the positive. In her eyes she really had a hard time seeing the positive. Here's the tip: for every negative that was said she had to find a positive about the situation. Example if another girl said she didn't like her (negative) a positive I didn't punch her, or her clothes matched. It seems silly, but it helped maddie find positive in any situation.