Sunday, October 28, 2007

Living Traditions

As Fall is in full swing here in Illinois, and the winter holiday's are approaching, I find myself growing more and more nostalgic...
Apples - the scent, texture and taste of the fruit reminds me of my Grandparents house, where a peck or two always sat waiting on the screened porch. Even with a bitter chill in the air, the aroma of apples would waft through the welcoming door. It brings to mind rustling leaves, the sound of wind through the majestic trees along the sidewalk and streetlights winking on ever earlier as the seasons changed...


My family is from West Virginia. While I was born and raised in Ohio, there are many southern traditions that remain strong that I want to pass along to my children. So many lost arts that are being replaced by an immediate gratification society...
I can remember my grandmother, great-grandmother and great-aunt canning and "putting up" food to last through the winter and into the next canning season. I'll admit...for so long the ease of opening a can from the grocery store held much magic for me as I struggled to put together a healthy dinner for the table every night. After some thought, and a lot of long distance help from my Grandma Wackenheim - this summer I began to can myself.
Preparations can be lengthy for some items, but to my surprise, the entire family eagerly took on the tasks! All of us, including Evan and Elly, snapped green beans. Allyson helped by peeling tomatoes and apples, Melyssa also took turns with the paring knife. Jillyan was an awesome runner to supply cries of "More apples!" or "Wash more berries!". Manny's endurance for running from kitchen to garage for items and supplies was much needed, and Noel peeled and mashed and stirred and ran timers and did whatever else needed done, the trooper that he is!
This summer was a lesson for me in teamwork, and this winter our family will be able to reap the fruits of our labors. I can't get anyone to pick their socks up off the floor, but my pantry is bursting at the seems with gleaming jars of family pride and togetherness. I am humbled...

This season, we were able to can strawberry jelly and jam, double berry mango jam, orange marmalade, dill pickles, peaches, green beans, tomatoes, tomato juice, ketchup and apple butter. Not too shabby for beginners! We are already making plans for next summers pantry fillers!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

These are beautiful pictures. I never pictured you as the canning type. I haven't tried canning yet, but i have considered it highly. I did the mass quality freeze thing this year, and I have to admit it has turned out pretty good. We have already started using some of the items, and it is great. The shredded zucchinni held up good, green tomatoes good, corn excellent, the hot peppers not so great. This was my first year, and there was some trial and error that went in it. You did some great items though. There's a sense of accomplishment, and you're right it's a family event through and through.

Danielle said...

I soooo want to can. I'm just overwhelmed with the thought of learning to can!! Maybe I can talk my grandma into showing me how

By the way, I am SERIOUSLY impressed with your canning efforts. How do you decide what to can???

Emily Jade said...

Danielle - since I don't have a garden, I decided to can what was available to me fresh (at a farm market), easy for a beginner, and what I had to tools to do. The ketchup was something that I could no longer live without (my Grandmas recipe), and at least had to make a stab at it. I recommend having the Ball Blue Book Canning Guide and a Grandmother on speed dial - happy canning :O)

Unknown said...

LOL!! Oh that's so funny that's the exact book my grandma sent me when I asked for freezing and canning tips.

I have to ask, are these actual pictures of your canned items?

Wendy said...

What a great post! The whole thing made me smile. First, I was amazed that this was you. To agree with Shell, I never pictured you as the canning type. Secondly, you did so much. I'm totally impressed. I really like the idea of canning, it's the follow through I have problems with.

Susie said...

Oh Emily!!! I am so glad you are learning to can. I never had time to learn growing up at home, but when I started my own family I was on the phone to mom constantly (dial a recipe, as I called her) and I can every summer and do some freezing as well. I am fortunate to have a garden with plenty of everything. I do up a lot of tomatoes and juice and green beans as those are our favorites. I don't do the fruit, however, because Elle can't have all the sugar. I have done pickles in the past but they are very labor intensive! You have to REALLY want em ( I still get some from mom's stash when she visits) Good luck with all your canning!! Hey, growing up appalachian ain't so bad, huh? Love you,
Aunt Susie

Emily Jade said...

Yes Chelle - those are mine :O)

Unknown said...

Em, they look like they could be on the cover of a magazine. You did an awesome job.

Emily Jade said...

Thanks Chelle!!!!