Monday, January 14, 2008

Evan update

Evan, as many of you know, is my high maintenance medical child. While he possesses many gifts...one of them is defiantly NOT a tolerance to environmental allergens!

Today, we had a check up with his allergist, a great guy named Dr. Brown. He takes the time to explain to Evan what allergies are, how they effect him and his asthma, and what he has to so because of it. In a nut shell, while explaining this to Evan, I saw the actual "list" and "severity" of allergens he was tested for. Yikes...

As it was explained to me, anything with a score of 2+ will give you allergy symptoms. Enjoy his list...I think you'll understand my surprise!

Cat = 4+
Dog= 4+
Horse=4+
Feathers Mix=4+
Althernaria (mold)=2+
Fusarium(fungus)=4+
Aspergillus Mix (mold)=4+
Helminthosporum=4+
Elm Tree=4+
Maple/Box Elder=4+
Oak Tree=4+
June Grass=4+
Timothy Grass=4+
Ragweed=2+
Kochia (Burning Bush)=3+
Mites=3+
Cockroach (eeewwww)=3+
Histamine=3+
Soy=3+
Wheat=3+


We will begin a new medication to replace his nebulizing twice a day (I'll let you know Chelle!)and - wonder of wonders...his Zyrtec is going to OTC later this month. While no price has been seen by me, we are hoping that it will be more affordable than his current $45/month tab (that IS the co-pay!).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know Em at least at this point they are aware of some of the allergies and are begining to better treat his condition. I think you are more on the right track to help Evan with the allergist. I am excited for you that the prescription is going OTC. Let's hope it's in a better price range.

Anonymous said...

Gooma has those and a few more - such as newsprint (you heard me), corn syrup, a couple of different dyes in food, rabbit (can't get a normal rabies shot if needed),olive trees, Bermuda grass (it's EVERYWHERE for God's sake!), styrofoam (it burns my skin), I can't remember what all. So I feel the poor guy's pain...
I'm also quite allergic to horses, When you had CC Rider I couldn't even get close once Lyz was born. And you know how I love animals. *sigh* Well, at least you're on the right track now - once his allergies are managed you'll notice a world of difference in him.

Anonymous said...

Boy we aren't doing much for him now are we. This property and its contents would bring him down. Didn't do you much good with the feathers either. Any chance he will outgrow some of these things. I hope so. Good luck. Keep the pictures and info coming. Miss ya.