Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Brandon - this one's for you!

OK Brandon, your Mom said that you really liked the pictures from the Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) Chicago, so I'm posting more just for you! I'll try to have an explanation of each picture for you - the best that I can remember. If you click on the picture, it should make it bigger for you to see more detail. Enjoy!
Part of a control panel in a Mercury space capsule. Isn't it amazing how little our first astronauts were left in space with? I would have been more than a little scared!

One of the Mercury capsules. Look at how small it was compared to the boy walking along side it! They fit 3 grown men inside for hours while they orbited the earth!


Some history for you of Apollo 8, the Apollo spacecraft on display at MSI. A most interesting point for me - Jim Lovell was on this mission. Jim Lovell was also on the ill fated Apollo 13. What pioneering warriors these men were.

The Apollo 8 spacecraft. Amazing...

The following pictures were taken of MSI's model train exhibit. It shows Chicago and all of it's rail lines (the Metra and "L" trains are also exhibited in this), and the freight and Amtrack lines from Chicago to Seattle. The detail in this exhibit is awesome, and I posted my favorite of the pictures!

There are trains that run through the model, and the houses and businesses have flickering lights! I loved this 50's style diner!


The farmland actually has "fields" laid out. Again, the detail is awesome!!



Melyssa running through the molecule room. You have to try and hit 4 or 5 (I don't remember) "molecules" running through it once.


Allyson sitting in a jet turbine engine in the Take Flight exhibit. There is a Boeing 737 jet that was donated to the museum INSIDE the museum. They removed one wing, and some other portions to HANG it from the balcony. There are many activities inside the airplane - but I'm a little hesitant to actually get "on" the craft. Pretty cool all in all...

A replica of the Wright Brothers first flight...
Check out all the museum has to offer at www.msichicago.org! You would love it there!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Em!!! He really enjoys them, he was telling me about things that he knew about the pictures. He says you know Allyson shouldn't sit there if it was really on. I reassured him that Allyson wouldn't.

Unknown said...

I want to go to this museum so bad. I keep showing Casey the pictures, and telling him that we have to go to Chicago so we can visit this museum.